Saturday, May 14, 2011

RR03

In all honesty, I kind of neglected all the recent reading assignments but surprisingly, I was able to catch up (because I'm a really slow reader...) with everything and here I am writing my third reading response for this class.

Overall, I thought this book was pretty interesting. Even though there were some points where I felt like the author was just repeating the same concept over and over again from previous chapters, there were a lot of ideas that I had never thought about and in the end, I feel like I learned a lot from this book about the relationship between design and the environment.

The first thing I thought was interesting started from this quote,
"While the economic payoff immediately rises, 
the overall quality of every aspect of this system is actually in decline."
That point struck me a little because usually in history class, the teacher emphasizes how the Industrial Revolution was such an important time in history because it helped change people's everyday lives but at the same time, it can also be considered the starting point to the deterioration of our environment. In the short-term, it is hard for us to see the effects on the environment but eventually, all the pollution and trash and such will accumulate to the point where it will be too difficult to fix things back to how it should be.

The other thing that I thought was interesting was how the things the author talked about connected back to Janine Benyus' lecture on "Biomimicry in action." In the book, it talked about how people should design their system of production and design in a similar manner as nature. In nature, for example a cherry blossom tree is very efficient because when it grows, each of its components goes back to mother nature and it helps the earth such as by acting as fertilizer or food for other organisms which will then eventually turn into fertilizer for the soil. Benyus' Biomimicry was about a similar concept too where people could design things by taking ideas from nature and its efficient manner in living their day to day lives. Hopefully, there will be more new designs coming out in the near future where nature and people can help each other out so that we can coexist on an everlasting, healthy planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment