Friday, April 8, 2011

J02

For Journal 2, my friend and I decided to go on a little stroll across campus to observe natural and human-made patterns. It was a pleasant experience because not only was the weather gorgeous, but it was fascinating looking at all the different patterns that surround us on a daily basis. (FYI: I personally define the word “pattern” as anything that occurs repeatedly/continuously)

1: This was the first picture I took outside as one of my patterns. I chose to take a picture of this because the tiny, light green buds that were bursting out of the ground really reminded me of how spring was finally arriving. I found this near McPherson Lab.

2: Honestly, I do not know the name of this building but I took a picture of it because it reminded me of the Bauhaus from our first lecture. The moment I looked at it, I focused on the flat roof and the repeating windows with the semi-large sheets of glass.

3: This was something that my friend had pointed out as a pattern. Without her, I would have ignored it completely. This was found nearby the Oval and I personally like it because even though they are just bike racks, they seem very modern and simple.

4: These flowers belong to one of the trees found in the Oval. My friend and I really like it because it was one of the few trees (or maybe the only one?) that had flowers blossoming from it. And it smelled very good. I call it, “floral patterns.”

5: This one is another one of my favorites because I definitely like patterns that have to do with water. Even though Mirror Lake may have the most disgusting things deep down, the waviness and the sunlight shining down on the water made it look very pleasant J

6: This is the front door to the Faculty Building. I just thought the design of it was very intriguing because of all the geometric madness going on. It just looked really fancy and I especially like the handle part and how it comes together to make one big circle.

7: Another pattern I really liked for a random reason would be this one. I found it on the sidewalk by the Oval and it just reminded me of Legos. And I like Legos… And when I looked at it, I thought, “Wow, this is what design is all about!” It’s bright red and made with rubber so that everyone knows that they need to stop here before the crosswalk. (Probably sounds a bit stupid but) It was one of those epiphany moments.

8: A picture of a bush that can be found anywhere on campus (thus I do not remember where I found this specific bush…) However, it just reminded me of when I was a little child because I remember pulling the leaves off and mixing it with other leaves and flowers and pretending as if I were cooking. It was simple fun and I kind of want go back and do it again J

9: This is the amphitheater by Mirror Lake. My friend and I just stood at the bottom and took a picture looking upwards. Even though they are just layers and layers of stone, I thought it was neat because it reminded me of the Renaissance Period and I just thought it looked fancy.
10: The way Thompson Library is built makes it look so scholarly (even though I am not completely sure a building can look scholarly…).  Just in this picture, I can see numerous patterns. The windows, the pillars, the railing, the part above the doors. This probably will not make any sense (just like the all the other things I post on this blog) but the patterns I just listed above have greater magnitude to it compared to the bike rack pattern for example and I think that is what helps make Thompson look so awesome J

1 comment:

  1. I really like this picture because I took a picture similar to this, but at a different view. It also shows that not one person looks at the same object in the same way.

    ReplyDelete