Thursday, April 28, 2011

J05

Aggie:
"The fact that design is so much more than making things look pretty and unique or sleek and simple; it is ultimately for a meaningful human purpose on every level."
I definitely agree with this statement. Before, I though design was all about the outside appearance. Even after I learned that design is all about functionality, it still took a while for me to realize how much power design has when it comes to moving people. When someone designs for another person, it makes that person feel so much better because it lets them become more free :)

Avi:
When it comes time, I would like to move to an area that closely resembles an self-adequate ecosystem. I would like to do some more work on industrial design because I feel like I can develop a more eco-friendly system.
I totally respect Avi for wanting to develop a more eco-friendly system. During a time like this when the environment is at risk, I think it's great that there are many people like Avi who want to take charge and make things better. I also admire how something he enjoys will be able to benefit the environment!

Crystal:
My only question is why I haven’t seen these carts in stores nowadays? This video was from the 90s, so the shopping cart should have theoretically been improved somewhat since then.
I don't know about the U.S. but back in Japan, most grocery stores have shopping carts like that where you can put the basket onto the cart. It's much more efficient during check-out because instead of pulling each item out of the cart and placing it on the conveyer belt, all you have to do is place the basket full of items on the conveyer belt and it doesn't take as much effort. 

Kristian:
On Monday we did the scavenger hunt, but more about it is posted in my blog. I found it exciting. The opportunity to "hunt" for design is amazing. I really like that we were not just sitting in the lecture room but exploring.
Just like Kristian, I really enjoyed how we got to go explore and look for designs that surround us on a daily basis. Walking around campus (or anywhere really), I never really stopped and thought about the designer of a building, the way it was designed, its possible functionality (I don't know if that's even a word but I'm going to keep on using it :) ) and such but through the scavenger hunt, I've become more interested in those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment