Friday, April 15, 2011

RR01

Every time I started a new chapter in this book, it made me realize more and more how much culture influenced design. It seemed like that was the theme of this book (so far) and it was interesting going through all the different concepts while keeping ‘culture’ in mind because it made a lot of sense (another one of my epiphany moments J)
First, the toothpick concept was really neat to think about because being born in Japan, I was able to relate to Japan’s culture and the specific object. Japan is all about being polite and courteous and when it comes to eating, there are a lot of rules about manners that come along with it. Breaking of the top part of the toothpick for a toothpick rest is not only brilliant but it definitely goes along with the Japanese culture. I didn’t even know the top part had that function to it… I thought it was some grip support thingy… Oh the things we learn!
Second, living in Japan, I know how small those houses can be… They’re quite tiny compared to the houses you see here. And that is why design comes into place. I knew that the washing machine also had a dryer unit incorporated into it, but did I ever think why that is not the case in the US? Nope. But now it all makes sense. It’s design being applied to the specific culture and its nature of living. How interesting is that? I feel like there is so much to design and I am looking forward to discovering even more fascinating things!

No comments:

Post a Comment